Friday, July 1, 2011

Warning: Poop Jokes ahead

Let's talk about bowel movements.

Ok, now that I have your attention and you hopefully have taken some aspirin for your whiplash, let's seriously talk about bowel movements.

"How low-brow!" You say, "I never thought such a fine, upstanding young man would need to stoop so low to get readers."

Well, yes and no. Seriously though, the Ajaans ask if we have diarrhea with the glibness and flippancy that we would ask someone if they had the time. It's remarkable. I understand that they're concerned about our health, (Believe me, no one is more concerned about his health than me. I hate getting sick.) but man, it whips your head around fast enough that you can hear the crack.

Most of the time, the days pass slowly, but the weeks fly by. Already I'm 25% through my course of study here, while it seems like I just got here. I did, but never mind that. It's only been 11 days since I stepped off the plane in Bangkok, but it feels like I've been here forever.

Yesterday was very, very long. It was the first of our activities: going to the market. Not just any market, either, no, it was a huge market. It had three floors and stalls spread throughout several surrounding streets. It was rather confusing, to say the least. However, I bought an outfit for Bethany’s little boy for US$5 (150 Baht). It’s a little outfit that is traditional among the hill tribes in the surrounding countryside. I hope it will fit him. I have resisted buying a lot of things because I’m always afraid that the vendor will try to fleece me. This, however, seemed like a good deal.

Back in the winter when I had an independent study with Dr. Collins, she lent me a documentary called “Buddha’s Lost Children.” It’s about an abbot in the woods somewhere near Chiang Mai at a temple called Temple of the Golden Horse. I would like to be able to visit it, and I hope that it’s feasible. I’ll ask the Ajaans about it.

Not too much happens on a day to day basis. (See previous post) Therefore, there isn’t a whole lot to tell you guys right now. Look for a big update on my Sunday (your Saturday) because we’re going to tour around Chiang Mai and see the sights.

Miss you all.

No comments: