Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's been a couple of days since the marathon blog post, so I figure it's about time for another one.

Things are starting to settle into a routine. A routine filled with sweat, heat and culture shock. The culture shock isn't so bad yet, actually. I've only been here a few days, I guess, though it seems like an eternity. I suppose that feeling is compounded by the fact that each day of class is about a week back home, because the entire program is about a year's worth of Thai.

These past few mornings I've woken up around 6:30 and skyped Kelli before taking my first shower of the day and sterilizing my water bottle. I've been drinking between a liter and two liters of water a day, and only eating a couple of times. Yesterday was the first time for a full three meals. More on that later, though.

After first shower, I get dressed and head to campus with the other people who live in the same guest house. We normally stop and get food either on the way, or in the canteen on campus that's not far from our classroom building. I try to eat something different everyday. Class lasts from 9 to noon and is divided into three hours, each with a different teacher. After noon most days we're free. The exception is Wednesday. On Wednesday afternoons we have an activity: going to a temple, going to a market, etc. Yesterday we didn't have one, so it was pretty quiet. I mostly did homework and chatted with friends.

Around 7 yesterday evening I met some friends and we went to a restaurant called "So Lao" which serves Lao and Issan food. The food was good, and I would like to go back, it's just that two of the members were really loud and obnoxious. Paula and I decided we weren't going to go out with them again. It's for the best.

This afternoon I met with my Advisor, she's supposed to help me learn Thai more effectively, in addition to helping me with my final presentation.

This heat is really taking it out of me. Tomorrow is supposed to be hot again, but then it should drop to around 82 and hang in the 80's for a little while.

1 comment:

Kellina said...

Ugh. Loud, obnoxious people can be so awful. Especially when you're "supposed" to hang out with them. I can't imagine how oppressive the humidity must be. Hang in there!! I'll talk to you in the morning.