Tuesday, September 16, 2008

First Thoughts

The flights went smoothly, which was nice. No delays, no problems, everything on schedule. Disembarking at Nagoya went smoothly. Immigration, customs: no problem. We were met at the airport by the people who were supposed to meet us, and everything was good. It was about an hour and a half drive to Chubu from the airport, which was passed in the usual "let's get to know each other" manner that has become a staple of my life.

There have certainly been adjustments to make. Fear of doing something wrong, appearing impolite.

One snag in the plan. My computer broke. I've been told it's probably something with the motherboard or BIOS. This is why I've been remiss and didn't update yesterday. My current plan is just to go down to the local electronics store, Hard-Off, (I kid you not) and buy a cheap computer to limp through these three months and fix my computer when I get home in the winter. I should have enough cash for this, so no worries, family.

Yesterday was the first full day in Japan, and the first one I've spent this far from home for ten years. The weather is hot and humid, with rain seeming to always threaten. Our placement test yesterday was not as bad as I would have predicted; we OU students seem to be among the best prepared.

We toured the campus yesterday. It's extremely compact. Afterwards we visited the 100 yen store. That's right, there's a dollar store equivalent. Returning to the dorm around 5:30, we had to register our fingerprints so we can unlock the door.

Dinner was amazing. There was so much food, and all of it was delicious.

My roommate and I ended up falling asleep around 9 at night and waking up around 5:30 in the morning. He remarked how much like old men we seem.

That brings you mostly up to speed. I'll post more thoroughly when I get a computer of my own. Right now I'm using my roommate's.

I miss you all.

7 comments:

Ainsley said...

i'm glad you're safe, and that everything's going smoothly. i miss you. there's been like three things in the past two days that i was like, "i wanna talk to jon about that, cuz he'll have good answers." don't worry, no romance problems. just stupid stand partners and stuff about buddhism.

<3

Anonymous said...

Bummer bout your computer. But I'm glad the trip there went good! And that the food is great! :-)

Dad said...

Great that so much went well. It appears that the food is better than I thought. You do have a thing with computers though. Learn bunches.

That Caitlin Girl said...

Glad you're enjoying yourself, computer notwithstanding.
Bring me back a panda, asia-man.

Mom said...

Happy to hear you are safe. Hope the food stays yummy. What is it with you and computers?

Nicky @ Eat, Run, Read said...

hola my dear ikeathan, hope your adjusting to the time difference is going better than the other day and that you can stay up later now.
loves you, dear!

Morgan said...

I think there must be the equivalent of a dollar store everywhere. It's just funny to see it as "100 Yen" or "5 Rand".... yeah.

I miss you, of course, and am glad you are safe.