Monday, September 8, 2008

Thoughts before setting out

It's just under a week before I leave for Japan, and I'm not really all that nervous. Or terribly excited. Maybe the reality of the situation hasn't really sunk in yet. Who knows. Anyway, this blog will be a way for me to keep in touch with people from back home and anyone who has the patience to read about my life. I'll try to keep it updated with details, photos etc., but no promises on any regularity.

It's strange, really, to not be going to class alongside all my friends, and maybe that contributes to the surreality of the situation. Also, it is rather tough to try to move into a new house and get ready to be out of the country for three months at the same time. I keep looking for things in the house in which I've lived for the past 19 years, not finding it, and having to walk over to the new house and search through the boxes in my new room.

I'm just starting to realize how much New Concord has shaped my behaviors. I've gotten used to running down to the grocery store, bumping into several people I know, and having to explain why I'm not in classes, and then answering the obligatory, "Well, what are you going to do after you graduate?" One part of me gets frustrated at having to answer the same question time and time again, but there is another part that enjoys that I have so many people interested in my life and respect me for daring to leave this small area. I will be both glad to leave, and miss seeing everyone.

Enough chatter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan,

The last half of your post reminded me of me. It's tough trying to move to two new places at once. I felt that way when I went to college- I was moving back home from Interlochen, but into my dad's house and my mom's house, neither of which felt like home. Then I had to turn around and move to Otterbein. I still have things that are missing that got lost somewhere in the shuffle.

And now it's been weird moving back to college again and beginning to move out of my home for good while mom's moving out. It's strange feeling like I'm leaving a home that won't be the same, but at the same time it kind of makes it easier for me to move on.

And the "What are you going to do after you graduate?" question has driven me bonkers to (did I just say bonkers? yep. wow. :-P). I had people ask me that all the time when I was in theatre because people either had no clue what I could possibly do with that degree or they just wanted to make me feel like a looser. And I still get it now. Now when people ask me what I'm gonna do with my degree, I just simply say, "hang it on my wall." :-P But you're right, it is nice that when people are interested and respect you for it.

I hope your experience in Japan is beyond what you could have imagined. Hopefully your nerves will calm down quick. I'm sorry I didn't get to see you again before you left!

Love, Abby

Oh, and p.s. I like how your background color matches the color of the walls of your room. First thing I thought of. :)

That Caitlin Girl said...

The whole not going to classes with my friends is weird. Not that I had classes with friends anyway, but that's another story. Trying to navigate a new city bigger than you've ever lived in before sucks. I think you're more set up to be the exploring type than I am, anyway.
Good luck. Don't die in a fiery plane crash.

Unknown said...

Jonathan,

Good luck in your travels!

As far as New Concord impacting who you are, I hear you. After moving around the country for 7 years, my roommates attribute my quirks to being from Ohio, but it's really all New Concord.

Travel safe. Talk to strangers. Ask for help. Fully experience where you are. Learn what you appreciate about home. Stay in touch!

Julie J.

P.S. I'm passing this on to others...